Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sophie so far

Sophie was supposed to arrive at 4 p.m. Sunday, but I nagged Ed into being ready early, just in case. At 3:25 p.m. we had a knock on the door. I was knitting; Ed thought it was the laundry pick up. There was our guide and a man holding the cutest, chubbiest little girl in a traditional red Chinese outfit. She was not crying. The men didn't stay long. I took her first, which now means she won't go to Ed and  is glombed on to me at all times. She cried at first (says something like Mama--meaning her foster mom) but stopped pretty quickly, as long as she is being held constantly.
 
Observations so far:
* She is so advanced developmentally. At 14 months, she can almost walk on her own. She babbles baby talk and is really curious and exploring things. There is a playroom in the hotel and she was having a blast trying to kick this big ba..
* She eats! As you can guess from her chubby cheeks, she is a good eater. At dinner she ate steamed egg, rice soup and mashed up peaches. So no having to teach her solids.
* She is snuggly. She likes to be held at all times, and will press her face against mine. It's very common for them to attach to one person first, and apparently it's me. Ed did try to feed her her first bottle, which went OK as long as I was lying right next to her.
* She sleeps! I was cuddling her after dinner and she dropped off around 7:30, with her clothes and all the lights on. At 10 she woke up (no crying) and we put her in jammies and gave her a bottle. She sleeps practically on top of me, and woke up around 2 or 3, but again didn't cry.
* She is playful. Already she likes laughing at herself in the mirror, sticking her tongue out then touching my stuck-out tongue, and shaking her head from side to side imitating me and laughing.
 
Today we do our paperwork, and the adoption is official. We'll be in Nanchang for about 5 days waiting for processing, then off to Guangzhou (I think I'm spelling that wrong but don't have time to look it up. She is stirring in bed.)
 
Thank you for all the wellwishes and prayers. We can't believe we're finally at the end of this long journey. Of course, the real journey is just beginning!

25 comments:

Tree said...

I am so glad that she is happy! I hope that it's not long till Ed is in the good books too!

Tree said...

Hi Heidi

That comment from Tree was actually me - I didn't notice I was still signed into Picasa and therefore Google Mail as Tayside Tree Huggers - our outdoor volunteering group!

ENjoy your day.

Di

vi0linista said...

Dear Heidi and Ed:

She's so beautiful and happy!!! We're so happy for you, and now to enjoy your little girl :)

Anonymous said...

Heidi and Ed,

Wow! She looks gorgeous. And how great to hear about her advanced development, sleeping and eating habits. What a blessing that God has given you, us, the Manions, the Butlers and all the extended family. Mom says she can't wait to pinch her fat cheeks. We are enjoying the daily updates from you and from Amy. I know you
're both exhausted, but it truely is worth it. Love you, Ed, Sam and especially our new granddaugher!

Dad

Anonymous said...

Heidi and Ed,

Wow! She looks gorgeous. And how great to hear about her advanced development, sleeping and eating habits. What a blessing that God has given you, us, the Manions, the Butlers and all the extended family. Mom says she can't wait to pinch her fat cheeks. We are enjoying the daily updates from you and from Amy. I know you
're both exhausted, but it truely is worth it. Love you, Ed, Sam and especially our new granddaugher!

Dad

Anonymous said...

Heidi and Ed,

Wow! She looks gorgeous. And how great to hear about her advanced development, sleeping and eating habits. What a blessing that God has given you, us, the Manions, the Butlers and all the extended family. Mom says she can't wait to pinch her fat cheeks. We are enjoying the daily updates from you and from Amy. I know you
're both exhausted, but it truely is worth it. Love you, Ed, Sam and especially our new granddaugher!

Dad

Sue said...

Beautiful! I just love her chubby little cheeks. Can I pinch them?

-sue

Kristin said...

YAY!! We are thrilled for you. She is adorable. So happy she know how to SLEEP! That's great!
Kristin

Nina W said...

Hey Ed and Heidi,
Thrilled for you guys! Sophie looks like a bundle of joy ... will bring you a complete Indian meal after you return!

Much love,
Nina and George

Katie said...

Heidi and Ed - We are so happy for you! Sophie is ADORABLE. Her cheeks are fabulous. : )

Renee said...

Sophie looks very happy to be with her Mama. It makes me so happy to see this photos! Sending lots of prayers your way for safe travels.

Leigh Ann Drevs said...

awesome...I cannot wait to meet her and squish those cheeks!

roseylittlethings said...

Congrats!!!what a doll, so happy for you!cn't wait to see what sam thinks of her:)

Dawn said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Creative Genius? said...

She is beautiful!! Congrats I am SOOOOO happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Heidi and Ed! Sophie's such a cutie pie!
-Tina Herman

kassie said...

Yipee!!!! Sending the three of you lots of love and laughter from Arkansas. Can't wait to read more about your new addition as well as BIG BROTHER Sam!

jkline said...

Congratulations! So happy to get the good news. I sounds like she is off to a good start. I know she is going to adjust well. We get updates on Sam all the time. I bet you can't wait to get them together. Keep up the good work. I hope you get a little sleep. Sam and Sophie are blessed to have parents like you.
Jeannie K (Grandma Mary's friend)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an amazingly unemotional account of meeting your daughter for the first time. I've read a lot of adoption blogs but have never read anything quite so cold and detatched. I sure hope it's just poor writing and not a lack of love in your hearts for this beautiful gift you have been given.

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

Congratulations! She is so pretty & happy!

maria ruiz scaperlanda said...

I'm still smiling from those photos, Heidi!! what great smiles--and I don't mean just Sophie's! :-) thanks be to God--and blessings, blessings, blessings! will continue to pray for smooth transition -- maría

Kristin said...

Dear Anonymous,

You are a cold person. How dare you write this comment on Heidi and Ed's blog. All of us who know and love this family know the love and joy that they carry in their heart for this precious gift of a daughter, Sophie. Please keep your comments to yourself.
Kristin

LaLa said...

OK....I have missed soooo much!!! She is adorable!! So glad she likes you..as you know Annslee was very attached to her foster mom and wanted nothing to do with me : (

YAY on the sleeping, eating and playing : )

Sean and Mic said...

Absolutely adorable!!!! I especially love her cheeks.

Enjoy your trip and your beautiful new daughter.

kpf said...

Heidi and Ed,

Wow! It's finally happened. I'm so thrilled for you FOUR! I'd forgotten about your blog for a while and I'm bummed I've missed so much of the adventure. Can't wait to meet Sophie.