Sunday, February 21, 2010

It's official!

It's Monday afternoon in China, and as of about 10 a.m. today, our adoption of Sophia Yue Schlumpf Butler is official. The paperwork went very smoothly, thanks to our in-country guide. We got to ask the orphanage rep a few more questions about her foster family, which was nice. They clearly took such good care of her--no skin rashes, diaper rash, and obviously they fed her enough. We were interviewed, got our photo taken, and paid some fees, then it was over. While there, we met a group from Spain with their babies; here in our hotel, two Belgian famlies are getting their babies right now. I can hear them crying in the hallway.
 
We Skype'd Mimi and Pop-pop (Ed's parents) and tried to reach my parents, Manions and Trish, but Sophie fell asleep before we connected with them. We're all going to take a little rest now. She slept from 7:30 p.m. to about 5 a.m., getting up only once, waking a few other times, but not even crying. We're free the rest of today. Will try to walk around the area near the hotel later this afternoon. The sun is trying to peek through the smog! More pictures to come. She looks so cute today in her little dress.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

CONGRATS ~ Our 14 mth old son from Vietnam was walking when we went for him also. Amazing how well some of these children do in orphanages and foster care! I cannot wait to see more pictures.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! She is so cute! I can hardly wait to see her.

Love, Mom

Kristin said...

I have tears in my eyes. Finally, your dream come true! Perfect little family. Enjoy every minute. Give her a kiss for us.
Kristin

Meinrad said...

What wonderful news!
Enjoy your first days of bonding with Sophie, and have a great trip back and a wonderful reunion with Sam. Many blessings and all the best,
Meinrad

Heidi said...

Heidi, I remember when I started reading your blogs a few years ago and you had no idea when Sam and Sophie would ever arrive. I rejoiced when you got Sam, and I rejoice now that you got Sophie! I'm so, so happy for you & Ed and your families to have your hearts' dreams come true. Sophie is absolutely beautiful--she looks like a little doll! I hope things are going well!

StacyRedbird said...

So happy for you. Sophie is just beautiful and she is so lucky to have you for parents. I have been following your blog and just wanted to let you know how happy I am you finally have your daughter in your arms. Hope the rest of your trip goes great. Congratulations, again, SO happy for you, have really enjoyed following along with you.