Wednesday, October 14, 2009

How we learned about our daughter

Dear Sophie,

Your Dad and I are embarrassed to admit that we were eating lunch at Chili's, a rather pedestrian suburban restaurant that we rarely if ever frequent, when we learned about you for the first time. Here's why.

We had learned the day before that we had been included with this batch of referrals and that calls would be made the next morning at 11 a.m., our time. Your Dad had to teach his class at Aurora University until 11:45, and I didn't want to get the news without him, so Sam and I traveled with him to Aurora that Tuesday morning. While he taught his class, we went shopping at a nearby Jewel, visited Auntie Amy in the library and a bunch of other AU people, and ran around on the quad. It was a chilly but sunny fall day.

Around 11:30, I still hadn't gotten the call, but Sam and I went to hang out side your Dad's classroom door, just in case. Some students saw us peek in, and your Dad came running out. False alarm. Class let out at 11:45, but still no call. So the three of us found an empty classroom, where we could show Sam Sesame Street videos on the computer and waited.

And waited. By 12:15, still no call and we were hungry. So we decided to go to lunch. Auntie Amy came with us. We were going to go to Panera's, but I decided I needed a little mid-day glass of wine to calm me down. So Chili's it was, since they have a bar. (I ended up going with a strawberry mojito!)

We ate lunch and jumped every time the phone rang, but it was always friends calling to see if we had news yet, so we didn't answer. Dad had a turkey sandwich and I had a shrimp taco salad. Sam ate lots of my shrimp and threw his milk on the floor.

Just as the bill arrived, the phone rang and I saw the 303 area code. So off your Dad and I went to the vestibule, where we put the phone on speaker and got the news that "It's a girl." I was taking notes and crying, because all the news was so good. We had been worried about virtual twinning with your brother, but that won't be a problem. We were also happy to learn you have been in foster care almost your whole short life, though we know that will make it harder for you --and your foster mom--when we come get you. Still, it means you have attached to someone, and that's good.

Auntie Amy tried used her iPhone to see if the email with photo had arrived yet, but it hadn't. So we dropped her back off at work and drove the hour home before we got to see your cute, chubby little face.

Oh, and Auntie Amy paid the bill for lunch. She's always doing that. Thanks, Amy.

Love, Mama

3 comments:

vi0linista said...

Believe it or not, I love the story (including the fact that you ate (and had a mojito) at Chilli's. It is very original and Sophie is going to love hearing it when she grows older.

Kate Gj. said...

Oh my gosh! Congrats Heidi!! I had a feeling you were close so I came back to check in. So happy to see the good news.

Can't wait to hear more...travel news, etc.

And, I won't judge you for being at chili's. Well, maybe a little. But it's a good story for Sophie. :)

catieann said...

Oh heidi
I totally missed this post and am so sorry....what a beautiful story for your new little princess.
Do you know when you will be leaving to get her? SHe is so adorable!!
adding a new little daughter to your family is indeed...................priceless
am so happy happy for the four of you!
love
catie