Monday, September 08, 2008

Orphanage visit #2

First, let me say jetlag + anxiety really sucks. After a great 8 hours' sleep on our first night, both Ed and I were up quite a bit on Night #2. I only got about 3-4 hours. But we had a wake-up call for 7:30 so we would be ready for our next visit to the orphanage at 9 a.m.

(This is what we call his Humphrey Bogart look.) When we got there, Samuel Dieu had just eaten his morning rice gruel/soup. He had a cough and seemed a little tired. Maybe he had a rough night sleeping, too.

We brought all our gifts to the orphanage today: 23 little gift bags for the nannies; other gifts for the orphanage officials and director; and some donations for the children (clothes, blankets, diapers). I think we also donated some moon cakes (arranged by Catalyst) for the upcoming Harvest Moon Festival (this weekend). That's one and a half suitcases emptied (those two suitcases in the previous post were only half our luggage!)

Sam fell asleep while I was holding him, and once again he didn't cry or make a peep the whole time we were there. Initially we were told we would not bring him home today but then, after about an hour or so, they said we would.

It was so emotional. I was starting to cry and then I saw his favorite nanny (Nhi) crying and Ed and I both lost it. I won't post any of the photos of us with her or the orphanage director because we are a blubbering mess in all of them. We are so grateful to the women who cared for our son all these months. You can tell it is not just a job for them. They truly love these children.
I will post more later about how our first day together went (not too bad!) but right now I should try to sleep. It's 1 a.m. and I'm up again and Lord knows I need my rest. Sam, thankfully, is sleeping peacefully. So is Ed!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's so sweet! Very happy for you! Mom and Dad send their love and are thrilled:)
trish

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi and Ed and Sam: I showed your blog to everyone in the library and a few other AU folks. Everyone is just tickled to see the photos. I can only imagine the rollercoaster of emotions you're feeling. When I saw Sam on Skype last night, I lost it, too. I'll just focus on the picture of the two of you smiling--so cute!!! And I love his hair! Love, Auntie Amy

jen said...

Love the photos! SO exciting that you got to take him home, how rewarding after all this time:) Hope you are able to get some rest, but I bet you are so elated and full of joy you can't even sleep, not to mention the jet lag!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! At last! How exciting. I know you have waited a very, very long time and thought the day would never come. He looks very happy in his pictures, as do you! Thank you for keeping all of us up-to-date with you adventure.
Michele

mo said...

That face! That hair! He is so sweet! It made me tear up a bit too to read you got to take him with you and the care and emotions of his loving nannies. It is all so exciting! Thanks for letting us read all about it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm crying, too! It's all so great and wonderful! He's beautiful and we are so happy for you all. We can't wait to meet him- Megan, Kevin and all the little Clarkes

ClaireBear said...

Heidi, Ed and Sam...I am passing around your blog to your St. Gert friends who have been waiting in the background with you. Sam is BEAUTIFUL and looks like a character, to me. Can't wait to see him when he gets home. I'm so very VERY happy for you all!!

Cheers and love, Claire C.

LaLa said...

What a doll baby he is. I love that hair!!!! I am so happy you were able to take him "home" with you today. I know you probably didn't sleep well due to jet lag and checking on him. Do try and sleep if you can : )

I hope you are enjoying yourselves and taking good notes for me LOL

Thank you again for the pics of Nhan , we are so grateful that you took the time to do that : )

amy said...

what wonderful pics..

Awesome

Anonymous said...

warhammer gold warhammer money warhammer accounts tibia money tibia gold tibia item runescape accounts buy runescape accounts runescape money runescape gold runescape gp runescape power leveling runescape powerleveling cheap rs2 powerleveling runescape equipment buy rs equipment runescape runes cheap rs2 runes runescape logs cheap rs2 logs runescape items buy runescape items runescape quest point rs2 quest point cheap runescape questpoint runescape gold runescape items runescape power leveling runescape money runescape gold buy runescape gold buy runescape money runescape items runescape accounts runescape gp runescape accounts runescape money runescape power leveling runescape powerleveling tibia gold dofus kamas buy dofus kamas wow power leveling wow powerleveling runescape questpoint rs2 questpoint Warcraft PowerLeveling Warcraft Power Leveling World of Warcraft PowerLeveling World of Warcraft Power Leveling Hellgate money Hellgate gold buy runescape logs buy rs2 items cheap runescape items Hellgate London gold Guild Wars Gold buy Guild Wars Gold runescape items rs2 accounts cheap rs2 equipments lotro gold buy lotro gold buy runescape money buy runescape gold buy runescape runes lotro gold buy lotro gold runescape money runescape gold cheap rs2 powerleveling eve isk eve online isk buy runescape power leveling rs2 power leveling tibia gold tibia item runescape accounts Fiesta Silver Fiesta Gold Scions of Fate Gold Hellgate Palladium Hellgate London Palladium SOF Gold Age Of Conan Gold AOC Gold ArchLord gold tibia money tibia gold runescape accounts runescape gold cheap rs2 powerleveling buy ArchLord gold DDO Plat Dungeons and Dragons Online Plat

Karla said...

What a joyful and perfect day. I am glad you took lots of pictures.

Anonymous said...

Ed, Heidi and Sam- We are so thrilled for you! Thank you for sending us the pictures. What a beautiful family. Please keep us informed of the many more "firsts" for you and Sam. All our best, Alyce & Joe and the boys.

Kay Bratt said...

Oh My....he is beautiful! What a lucky family you are.

Just hoppin' through,
Kay