Wednesday, September 10, 2008

It's Official!

On September 10, 2008 in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam, Tran Van Dieu joined Team Schlumpf-Butler. He is now our legally adopted son.The ceremony is really just signing papers, but it was very emotional. Out taxi driver had gotten lost on the way there, so we were late, but the government official was even later, so we were OK. (I was totally stressed about that, of course) Ed said he was so nervous that if he left the "Jr" off his name or something, the whole thing would fall through. I felt the same way. I kept looking at the huge file with his name on it and thinking of the years of accumulated paperwork there. That's been our life for two years. I'm hoping my mom can post photos that I've emailed to her. In one, we are signing the papers (Believe me, efforts were made to straighten my hair, but the humidity here makes it so frizzy), with the orphanage director across from us and the director of birth and marriage certificates to my right. Then Magali from our agency takes our official picture. If this works with my Mom posting photos for me, we'll have more of our post-celebration lunch and shopping. Thanks again for everyone's love, prayers and well wishes.

This is Mom here, I will post this and then try to add the pictures to the next post. They wouldn't go in this post.

4 comments:

Therese said...

Congratulations, Ed, Heidi and Samuel Dieu! This is why we do what we do! I know you never believed this day would come, but we've been pulling for you all along. I'm so happy you've finally got your little boy in your arms. Blessings to you all.

Hen gap lai,
--Therese

Hey Magali, Minh and Quynh...Awesome job! Thanks for your expert care of this family!

Anonymous said...

Heidi, Ed, and Sam...

Congrats on making everything official! I hope to take some of these picture to Gramma on Friday when I head up to Rice Lake. He sure seems to be adapting well to you. Can't wait to see him in person.

Lots of love,

Dad

LaLa said...

YAY!!! Huge congrats!!! So happy for all of you : )

Emilie said...

What a wonderful, happy day! I'm so happy for you! These posts from Vietnam have been so great to read (and look at) - so uplifting after all you've gone through.