Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hoan Kiem Lake

Our hotel is just blocks from Hoan Kiem Lake in the Old Quarter of Hanoi, so our first day here we took a walk around it. The Tortoise Tower is in honor of the giant tortoise of the sword legend.

Ed peruses the guide book, while Sam drools on it.

Taking a break for a bottle. While sitting there, a one-legged woman on crutches came up and started talking to us. She had pretty good English and was very interested in the fact we had adopted a Vietnamese baby. While talking to her, a man came up to sell us a cricket fashioned from a palm frond. He couldn't speak but he communicated his interest in our adoption by pointing to my hair and then Sam's hair and gesturing pregnancy, then pointing to the ground. "Yes, he's from here," I said, and he gave us the thumbs up. He took a blade of grass and wrote USA on the sidewalk. We said yes, then he gestured shooting down airplanes. A war veteran, obviously.

A little farther around the lake, we met an American who took our picture. He came right out and asked how much we paid for the child. I just said, "We paid for the process, not for the child," then smiled and walked away. It's a common question; we've gotten it several times already.


The Ngoc Son Temple at the end of the lake.


Some moon cakes from the mid-Autumn festival, which we bought from the one-legged lady. Ed and I split one for lunch. It was good, but a strange combination of sweet and savory. I later had a bit of a tummy ache and blame that. So we had our first "Western" food last night just because my stomach felt sensative--a pizza, one veggie (I've never had pizza with corn on it before) and one seafood. Ed took over total baby duty last night while I tried to get my stomach back in order. By today I felt fine.

We're off to Halong Bay tomorrow for a overnight boat tour. It's supposed to be beautiful, but I hope we're not crazy for bringing a baby on this. We'll be off-line for two days now, but will try to post again when we're back in Hanoi. We're in Halong Bay Wedneday and Thursday, then leave Vietnam Friday night. We're excited to get home, but really loving it here. Thanks again for everyone's prayers and nice comments. We tell Sam about all of them!




6 comments:

Di said...

HI Heidi! It looks like family life is suiting you all!! I am posting from my hoidays in Spain - so happy my hotel has internet access so I could catch up on your adventures!!

CtotheL said...

Glad you're having a little vacation. Better rest up for the flight home! Oh yeah, and Liturgy Boy agrees with Ed that bringing water from the river in HCMC was a BAD idea! I'll bring some from TN. :)

Kristin said...

Looks like you are having fun and adapting to parenthood well. Have a great time on the boat trip. Can't wait to hear all about it!
Kristin

Anonymous said...

It is so fun seeing your pics!! We can't wait to meet Sam!!
I spoke with Delia yesterday, and we are thinking about coming to visit next Tuesday, after you come home. It's the only day that works for us. Let me know if that works for you. We will bring dinner and a dinner to warm for later in the week.

Much love!
Lourdes

Kendra said...

Heidi and Ed, thank you for sharing this experience with us. I love checking in and seeing what you have been up to. I will be in Chicago for work 9/30-10/2. I will call to see if you are home and up for a visitor.
Kendra
Congrats!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ed and Heidi:
We are so happy for you! Baby Sam is absolutely adorable. It is very moving to see how happy you are, and we look forward to meeting Sam soon.
All the best,

Chris and Carolina