Tuesday, September 09, 2008

A day of firsts

It's been 24 hours of firsts for little Samuel Dieu. His first car ride, after we left the orphanage. Unlike us, he was unfazed by the traffic and near accidents from all the motor scooters.

As soon as we got home and said "hi" to Auntie Amy on Skype (she was the only one up and online at 11:30 p.m.), his first bath, which he seemed to like OK. And then his first scabies treatment.

His first nap. He's a good sleeper. Maybe too good. 10 hours last night, then was up only for an hour or two before he fell asleep again. Might be part of his way of coping with all the change he's going through.

First yogurt at breakfast Tuesday morning. He like it well enough, until Mommy spilled the whole container on the table and on Daddy's pants. Oops. He promptly fell asleep right after this. We have a pattern here: whenever we go out to eat, he falls asleep at the restaurant. Last night at Pho 24, the waitress offered to hold him. (What were we thinking ordering the hot pot?) and he fell asleep on her shoulder.

First sightseeing tour today. We walked up to the palace and wanted to go to the War Museum, but it was closed during lunch. This photo was taken just before he nodded off again.
Thanks to everyone who has written with well wishes and congratulations in the comments and by email. It's been fun to read them all and see all who have been following our journey. Our Giving and Receiving ceremony is tomorrow morning (it got changed, then changed back again), so he will be officially ours by tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. Yea!

17 comments:

LaLa said...

What a sweetie...sorry about the pants LOL

He is going through so many changes and you are right, his sleeping is probably just his way of coping. I am sure he will adjust as time goes on and you'll be wishing for the good sleeper : )

svelteSTUFF said...

It's been a l-o-n-g road for you! All the best to your 'new family'!!

vi0linista said...

I log on everyday now, to find out more about Sam and you guys...I am so thrilled for all you are experiencing. You all look wonderful, and Sam just really is so cute and handsome :)
Maybe he will stay a good sleeper...Nico still is. And I will hope that for you guys as well...

Anonymous said...

Great to talk and SEE you last night. Dad is concerned about his lack of hair on both sides--hopes he doesn't have to wear a hairpiece! He is so cute and we can hardly wait to see him for real. What size is he wearing now? I will try to leave Skype up whenever we are downstairs.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Why isn't he in a car seat???

jen said...

So fun to share in your journey!! Be happy he is a good sleeper, Graham still wakes up at night, some times 2 or 3 times and he is 20 months-AHHH. My girls were much better sleepers. So many adjustments for all of you, but in such a wonderful way:) How old is the little man?

D'Arcy Ryan said...

Heidi and Ed,

I've been tracking your blog ever since you left. I was at the airport the same time you were and trying to find the Tokyo flight, but it obviously wasn't United. I'm on a business trip and watching your blog via blackberry. My colleagues are laughing at me because every time I open it I cry. I'm so happy for you and Sam is absolutely adorable (in addition to being lucky).

xo D'Arcy

Anonymous said...

Good evening guys (even though it's morning here). Okay, today's favorite picture? Ed with Sam in the frontpack. It's so precious! I'm glad Jack, Kevin, and Clare got to see him on Skype last night. We had to wake Clare up, so I don't know how much she remembers. Have fun at the ceremony. I'll be thinking of you tonight when it's happening. Only 11 days until you get home!

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about you guys all weekend and tears streamed down my face when I logged in today and saw Sam in your arms!!! He's here!!! I'm beaming with excitment for you guys! Can't wait to show Dan, Maeve and Rowan the pics. Sending you guys lots of love!!! - Kassie

Michelle said...

I am so happy for Mommy, Daddy & Baby!! I can't wait to hold him and babysit. Andy sent me this link and it put the widest smile on my face. CONGRATS!! Love, Andy & Michelle

Marcia Koenen said...

Heidi,

Congratulations! Sam is beautiful! I cannot be happier for you and your husband and Sam. You make a very handsome family! Enjoy every moment;

Marcia Koenen

Denise said...

Congrats!!! I am so happy for you and know you will be an amazing family. :D Denise

Anonymous said...

Dave and I are crying like babies looking at your beautiful son. It certainly brings back a lot of memories for us. Every "first" is such a joy that you will relive again and again. Remember these simple things, write them down, take lots of video. Be proud of every accomplishment. Sam is strong and he will adjust quickly to your family. We are so happy that your prayers have been answered.
Much love to all of you,
The Mertens
Michelle (Dave, Alex, and Kristina)

tocspaw said...

I am so happy for you! I have chills reading all of your updates - Samuel is a treasure! Congratulations!!!!!! ~Heather

Jenny and Jon said...

We are not Skpye-ready - wish Jon would work on it so we could see you live. Thanks for the photos and updates. Glad Sam is a good sleeper - sleep and sanity go together. Can't wait to get our babies together...he is very sweet! Love, Jenny

Kristin said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures, I love the one of Ed with Sam the baby carrier. It is great to get your updates, the first thing I do every morning is go on this blog to see what is new! Enjoy every second, this time is very special.
Love, Kristin

deliam said...

I'm glad to see they enforce the child seat laws in Vietnam!