Tuesday, May 20, 2008

REFERRAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Sam,

Here's how we learned about you for the first time: On Friday, May 16, I was working at home, preparing for my summer class. Your dad was at Marshall School, doing his student teaching. I had just taken a break to make some donations for the victims of the China earthquake, the storm in Myanmar and to Ethica, which advocates for ethical adoptions. Then your Auntie Amy called, and I broke down crying about how hard this wait has been and how we were losing hope that we would ever be parents. I even made her cry too!

But when I got off the phone and checked my email, there was one from about 9:30 in the morning from our adoption coordinator saying she needed to talk to me and Ed together. I was still crying and now started shaking, because I knew what that meant. I called her immediately and told her that Ed was at school but that I could go get him "if this was it." And she said, "You better go get him."

I called the school office and told them to get him out of class and to call home. When he called, I was blubbering so much, he could hardly understand what I was saying! He finished up some loose ends at school and headed home on his bike. We had plans to leave that afternoon to go visit your Grandma and Grandpa in Wisconsin (The "It's a boy!" sign greeted us when we arrived), so I figured I'd use the time to take a shower and blow dry my hair. Might as well look good for one of the most important days of my life!

Your dad came home and ate some strawberries and cottage cheese. Then we got the call and learned that you were a 7-month-old boy from Ho Chi Minh City. After talking to our adoption coordinator, we sat by the computer, waiting for all the information she sent us, including the first photos of you. I had been worried that I might not bond immediately with your photo, but you were absolutely adorable.

We called our families and shared the good news. Everyone was so excited, though we cautioned them about the one major step left, passing the investigation by the U.S. government for the I-600 approval.

Then we sat there, completely stunned. And to be honest, four days later, I'm still a little shell shocked. I never lost faith, but I was really starting to believe this might not happen. We have been told that your given name means "God" in French. I have to believe that God has been carrying us all--you included--through this whole process. We're praying that God continues to watch over you until we can meet you in person.

Love, Mom and Dad

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, God, for that first of many happy days to come. Auntie Amy is ready to spoil you! Your mom and dad have this great circle of love and can't wait to get you in the middle of it. You are so cute and sweet--I can't wait to meet you in person! Love, Auntie Amy

LaLa said...

I know I have already said it but I want it here for Sam so CONGRATS and he is beautiful : )

Leslie & Shaune said...

that is such wonderful news! yay. i am beyond happy for you. love the yard sign!

leslie

Heidi said...

Heidi, my heart just leapt when I saw your other blog! I am just thrilled for you! :)

stacy said...

Congratulations - very excited for you and hope things go smoothly from here on out!

Emilie said...

Dear Heidi - I was thrilled to read your comment on my blog that you finally have a little boy! I'd been checking in here occasionally and knew how long you'd been waiting for Sam. I'm so happy for you!

And a very belated congratulations on your new job, too. :)

Renee said...

Heidi, your blog post made me so happy that I read it twice. Congratulations on this amazing news. You'll be such a great mom -- and Sam is going to be sporting so many cool hand-knit clothes! It looks like you and I are both going to become moms in 2008. I'm preggers and due on November 15! Congratulations again to you and Ed.

thecurryseven said...

Congratulations. It's wonderful news. I hope all the paperwork moves quickly.

Kathryn said...

biggest congrats!!!! i don't even know you, but i know how you must feel, and your story has moved me. we're in the china adoption line ourselves, and we're fostering a baby boy. i've been coming to your blog off and on for months, and i'm so happy to finally see this wonderful news! i hope the remainder of the process is SPEEDY!

Nicki said...

OMg, I know I'm late but CONGRATS! I sobbed my way through your whole post! talk about sheer emotion huh? May your wait for Sam be short and sweet. :)

mariannealice said...

I have been waiting to read this post ever since I first came across your blog...congratulations to you and your family. I am so happy for you all.

Anonymous said...

warhammer gold warhammer money warhammer accounts tibia money tibia gold tibia item runescape accounts buy runescape accounts runescape money runescape gold runescape gp runescape power leveling runescape powerleveling cheap rs2 powerleveling runescape equipment buy rs equipment runescape runes cheap rs2 runes runescape logs cheap rs2 logs runescape items buy runescape items runescape quest point rs2 quest point cheap runescape questpoint runescape gold runescape items runescape power leveling runescape money runescape gold buy runescape gold buy runescape money runescape items runescape accounts runescape gp runescape accounts runescape money runescape power leveling runescape powerleveling tibia gold dofus kamas buy dofus kamas wow power leveling wow powerleveling runescape questpoint rs2 questpoint Warcraft PowerLeveling Warcraft Power Leveling World of Warcraft PowerLeveling World of Warcraft Power Leveling Hellgate money Hellgate gold buy runescape logs buy rs2 items cheap runescape items Hellgate London gold Guild Wars Gold buy Guild Wars Gold runescape items rs2 accounts cheap rs2 equipments lotro gold buy lotro gold buy runescape money buy runescape gold buy runescape runes lotro gold buy lotro gold runescape money runescape gold cheap rs2 powerleveling eve isk eve online isk buy runescape power leveling rs2 power leveling tibia gold tibia item runescape accounts Fiesta Silver Fiesta Gold Scions of Fate Gold Hellgate Palladium Hellgate London Palladium SOF Gold Age Of Conan Gold AOC Gold ArchLord gold tibia money tibia gold runescape accounts runescape gold cheap rs2 powerleveling buy ArchLord gold DDO Plat Dungeons and Dragons Online Plat